INTRODUCTORY: Open to all — no prior knowledge or experience required; no registration required
WHEN: Tuesday nights from March 21st through April 18th, 2017; 7:30 to 9:00 pm; please check Calendar to confirm
FACILITATOR: Venerable Dondrub
Buddhism in a Nutshell presents basic Buddhist philosophy and principles, as well as simple meditation instruction. In this series, we will look at the history of Buddhism and the life of Shakyamuni Buddha, including his observation of the human condition known as the four noble truths.
Participants will also learn what is meant by enlightenment and how it can be systematically achieved. And we will discuss the primary feature of the Mahayana Tradition, Bodhichitta motivation — the wish to achieve our own enlightenment for the benefit of all sentient beings.
There are no required readings for this class. Copies of the companion book for this class "Buddhism in a Nutshell, Essentials for Practice and Study" are available at the center and at book retailers online for those who wish to read it during the course. For those who finish the class and are interested in deepening their understanding of the material presented in this class please refer to the following list.
Note, if you order from Amazon, consider ordering through Amazon Smile where Amazon will donate a percentage to The Guhyasamaja Center: https://smile.amazon.com. Type "guhyasamaja" in the charity search field; we'll be listed by our mailing address in Centreville, VA. Here's a direct link for your convenience: http://smile.amazon.com/ch/55-0881124.
• Tibetan Buddhism from the Ground Up, by B. Alan Wallace, Wisdom Publications
• Open Heart, Clear Mind, by Thubten Chodron, Snow Lion Publications
• The Four Noble Truths, by Geshe Tashi Tsering, Wisdom Publications
• The Dalai Lama's Book of Awakening, by the Dalai Lama, Element Publications
• The Way to Freedom, by the Dalai Lama, Harper Publications
• How to Practice: The Way to a Meaningful Life, by the Dalai Lama, Atria
• Kindness, Clarity and Insight, by the Dalai Lama, Snow Lion Publications
• Lam-Rim Outlines, by Ven. Karin Valham, Wisdom Publications
• Wisdom Energy, by Lama Yeshe and Lama Zopa Rinpoche, Wisdom Publications
• Essence of Tibetan Buddhism, by Lama Yeshe, Lama Yeshe Wisdom Archive
• Free Mahayana Buddhist publications and readings from the Lama Yeshe Wisdom Archive
Information regarding what you can expect when visiting the center, Dharma etiquette, the center's sacred artwork, and more can be found on our Resources page.
For directions, accessibility information, parking instructions, and other details you may find helpful for your visit, please visit our Contact page.
We humbly offer you the opportunity to practice generosity by helping to make the Buddha's teachings available in our community. If you're able, please make a donation for classes and other events — it's even tax deductible!
Suggested donations for both members and non-members are listed below, but please — give what you're comfortable with!
ENTER ONE-TIME DONATION AMOUNT
Don't forget to rejoice in your good deeds and dedicate the positive potential generated to the completion of something spiritually meaningful to you!
If you'd like to contribute but are unable to make a financial donation, please don't worry — no one will ever be turned away for financial reasons! And there are many other ways you can help support the teachings.
For more information about all our funds and special projects in need of financial support, the center's donation policy, tax deductible information, membership details, volunteer opportunities, and other ways you can support the center, please visit our Practicing Generosity page.